This funicular railway is within the city of Pau, in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques region of south-west France. It travels from the city’s main railway station up to the Boulevard des Pyrénées, where there are beautiful views of the Gave de Pau river and the mountains. A funicular was first suggested in 1885 and the railway was built from 1906 to 1908. The 103-m single track rises 26 m at an incline of 30 per cent on a structure of steel girders. The journey takes two minutes. After it closed in 1970 the city decided to repair it and it was put back in service in 1978. It is a popular attraction for tourists and is used by locals as part of the city infrastructure. It is free to use and fully automated. The funicular carries as many as 650,000 passengers a year. It is one of only three French funiculars which operate in a city centre.