The only Rail Transporter Bridge in the world, of the eight remaining transporters. This transporter bridge across the River Mersey at Warrington, built in 1914-16, was commisioned in 1916 and connected two parts of the chemical and soap plant of Joseph Crosfield & Sons, and was the second to be built by the company. The first, completed in 1905, was demolished in the early 1960s. The remaining bridge has a 61m span across the river, is 23 m high, with an overall length of 103 m, and is of steel construction. It was designed by William Henry Hunter (1849-1917), engineer to the Manchester Ship Canal, and erected by Sir William Arrol & Co who were involved in building London's Tower Bridge. It originally carried railway wagons, rail tracks remain on its approaches, but it was adapted to take heavier road vehicles as well from 1950s.
It has not been used since mid 1970s, and is leased to Warrington Borough Council. A voluntary organisation, The Friends of Warrington Transporter Bridge(FoWTB), was formed in 2015 to advocate the preservation and eventual restoration of the bridge.
It is possible to access the bridge from the North, via a public footpath through the Works or to the South, via the banks of the Mersey following brown signs and footpath markers, the website of the Friends organisation provides detailed guidance on reaching the bridge.
The bridge is one of three transporter bridges in the United Kingdom. The others, at Middlesbrough and Newport (South Wales) are both on ERIH website.
Warrington Transporter Bridge
WA1 1NA Warrington