The museum is in the classical ‘Commanderie’ building of the Order of Teutonic Knights at Rixheim in Alsace. Built in 1735, in 1797 it became a wallpaper factory owned by Hartmann Risler and Company, later to become Zuber and Company. The museum was established in 1983 based on the factory’s collections and has expanded with many more acquisitions. On the ground floor the museum uses rare examples of historical equipment and other objects to explain the manufacture of paper and colour, printing by block or roller and surface treatment such as embossing or flocking. A remarkable feature of the museum upstairs is the display of panoramas developed by Zuber – wallpapers that show complete panoramic scenes of exotic landscapes or historical events across a wall or around a whole room. There are also temporary exhibitions and changing displays of the superb archival collection of the museum from the eighteenth century to the present.