The Vučje hydropower plant is located on the Vučjanka River rising below the Kukavica Mountain. At the beginning of the 20th century, Leskovac had enough businessmen ready to invest capital and become pioneers of the new age making possible all the above technical wonders by using the new energy source – electricity; the Leskovac Electricity Company (Leskovačko električno društvo A.D.) was established in 1901.
The hydropower plant construction progressed very quickly, with the head race channel, dam and the powerhouse built in 1903. Đorđe Stanojević, nicknamed "the man who light up Serbia", organized the construction of the plant. Turbines and generators have also been installed and a 17 km long transmission line developed as far as Leskovac. Since the event of this kind marking the start of electricity utilisation in a town was surely of utmost importance for the people of that age, it is highly probable that it was synchronised with another historically important date – the town’s liberation day from Turks celebrated at the time.
The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) has included the Vučje SHPP in the Milestone List of facilities, inventions and achievements essential for the development of electrical engineering on the international level. Thus the Vučje SHPP became part of the world electrical engineering heritage. It also is a location on the cultural route 'Tasla Ways".