Medina de Rioseco is a small town in the province of Valladolid and north-west of the city of Valladolid. It stands on the Canal de Castilla which was built between the mid-eighteenth century and the mid-nineteenth century to carry grain from the province of Castille to the ports of northern Spain.
The mill is located close to one of the locks on the canal. It dates from 1852 and at first produced flour by the traditional means of grinding grain between millstones. Roller mill equipment was installed from 1912, and was renewed for the last time in 1944 with machinery installed by the Swiss firm Daverio. That machinery remains in place and visitors are able to study the system in some detail on four floors of the mill.