The museum at Alford, 40 km west of Aberdeen, is concerned with most aspects of transport history. Its exhibits include a stage coach, nineteenth-century private carriage, a collection of cycles, an early Sentinel steam waggon dating from 1914, some buses and industrial railway locomotives. The motor car collection concentrates on vehicles made in Scotland, including the Argyll, Albion and Arrol-Johnston marques, and Hillman Imps manufactured at Linwood. There is a special display on the cars and motor cycles of the Swinging Sixties.
A group of local enthusiasts began the collection in the 1960s and in 1978 acquired the lease of the railway goods yard in Alford, and formed the Grampian Transport Museum Association. The museum building opened in 1983 and has subsequently been enlarged, a new reception area having been completed in 2015-16.
Adjacent to the museum is the Alford Valley Railway, a 610 mm gauge line using track from peat workings which extends for 1.35 km.