The Friedrichshagen Waterworks in Berlin was considered the largest and most modern of its kind in Europe when it was completed in 1888. The pumping houses resemble palaces with their principal elevations facing the lake. The three steam pumping engines worked until 1979, and one of them can still be rotated by an electric motor. The waterworks is now a museum that tells the complex story of how Berlin has been supplied with water over the centuries, showing how the Friedrichshagen works came to be built, and how it was affected by the separation of the water supply to East and West Berlin after the division of the city in 1949. One section entitled ‘From carts to sewage treatment works’, shows the development of sewage disposal in the city over 120 years. Some large artefacts relating to water supply, pumps, pipes and valves, are displayed in the park.