More than 300 years ago, Johann Friedrich Böttger invented the perfect composition for the production of porcelain. Labelled "white gold", the precious chinaware also fascinated the Prussian King Frederick the Great. He founded the Royal Porcelain Manufacture Berlin (Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur Berlin) in 1763 in order to always have access to best quality products. Seven kings and emperors followed him as formal owners of the model plant of early industry, but in 1918 the factory eventually became state property. Inspired by the Werkbund and Bauhaus, a new, clear design emerged in the 1920s. In 2006, KPM was denationalized again, its products still being handcrafted at at the company's historic location.
KPM, Berlin's oldest operating craft business, is based in Berlin-Charlottenburg. The exhibition shows traditional pieces from four centuries, focusing on historical as well as modern craftmanship. Workshops for visitors offer the opportunity to connect with the world of "white gold" and produce one’s own creation from porcelain.