During the Second World War Yugoslavia was subject to Nazi occupation, but in 1941 the partisan resistance forces liberated the western part of Serbia and declared the Republic of Užice. It was reoccupied by Nazi forces the same year. The factory is a monument to the resistance and is part of the National Museum of Užice. It produced arms and ammunition in an underground vault of the National Bank of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. The factory worked until an explosion killed the whole shift of people working there on 22 November 1941. It was made public with a memorial exhibition in 1961, which was extended and refurbished in 2011. Visitors see a photographic exhibition and connecting tunnels, underground chambers and some machinery that was part of the ammunition department. Examples of the products of the factory are also displayed. Another building nearby has displays about the history of the region.