Municipal Museum

Louviers, on the River Eure in Normandy, was celebrated for its woollen cloth in the middle ages and in the 18th century specialised in high-quality broadcloths, using Spanish wool imported through Rouen. The first mechanised cotton-spinning mill in France was built there in 1785, with the assistance of two English mechanics who had worked for Sir Richard Arkwright. One 18th century mill, built by Jean Baptist Decrétot in 1779, has a memorable porch and dressed stone arcades, but many of the other buildings used for textile production are difficult to identify. Local history is illustrated in the Municipal Museum.

Municipal Museum
Musée Municipal
Place Ernest-Thorel
27400 Louviers
+33 (0) 2 - 32095855