In the early seventeenth century, a water-powered copper mill was built near Flensburg by Christian IV, King of Denmark and Norway and Duke of Schleswig and Holstein. It hammered copper sheets for roofing Danish palaces and protecting the hulls of wooden ships. By 1800 it was one of the largest industrial plants in Schleswig. Production continued until 1962.
The museum began in 1997 as the collection of Gisela and Bodo Daetz. Since 2014, the museum has occupied three renovated halls in the copper mill. Original waterwheels and turbines are displayed and a steam engine from 1933 remains in the machine hall with a reconstructed hammer mill. The story of the copper and brass industries is told by multimedia presentations and a collection that includes working models, a time stamp clock, documents, photographs, and brassware products such as lanterns, kettles, teapots and baking tins. Near the museum is a small district of former workers’ houses and administrative buildings.