The Großauheim Museum has been housed in the former power station and in the historical bathhouse since 1983. It has been fundamentally overhauled and its contents given a new direction in the past few years. The exhibition area is divided into two sections. In August 2010, the art exhibition opened its doors in the former art nouveau bathhouse dating back to 1908, with works by sculptor August Gaul, originally from Groكauheim, and painter August Peukert, originally from Hanau. The newly-designed exhibition on industrial history has been on show in the halls of the former power station and fire brigade since December 2011. It shows current developments in the city of Hanau as a site of research and industry as well as its industrially influenced past. Historical machines made by the company Josef Bautz, scythes, a mobile threshing machine and a steam-powered tractor with rope winch dating back to 1896 illustrate the mechanisation of agriculture, while “Original Hanau” sunlamps, Dunlop racing tyres and tennis rackets document the history of traditional Hanau enterprises. There are steam engine demonstrations on certain days.
An interactive sound sculpture by Erwin Stache was added to the historical exhibits in 2014. The sounds of the machines exhibited in the museum form the sculpture’s acoustic basis. A historical box with old switches and dials is there to give visitors the opportunity to adjust the speed and duration, mix and direction of the sounds.
|Recommended duration of visit:||2 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||90 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||Available|
|Infrastructure for Children:|
Saturday, Sunday 10am-5pm