A trip to Holland of the brothers Friedrich and Christoph Lange to learn the craft – and import the technology was the start of the production of damask in Großschäunau. From 1666 to 1933 there was no more important place of damask production in Germany than the village of Grossschönau in the district of Görlitz close to the German-Czech border, in which 100 damask looms were at times in operation simultaneously and where three quarters of the population lived directly from damask weaving. The products now called damask are “only” Jacquard weaves. Real damask was in fact a luxury product that was manufactured on Zampel looms or draw looms. Among the nearly 30 functional machines in the German Damask and Terry Museum is probably the only functional hand-draw damask loom as well as the last surviving terry hand loom in Germany.