Lisbon has one of the most spectacular tramway systems in Europe, which totalled 108 route km in 1924, when it incorporated nine funiculars, of which four remain. The system is managed by the Companhia Carris de Ferro de Lisboa, which had its origins in Brazil in 1872.
The company museum is adjacent to its headquarters at Santo Amaro, in the shadow of the Ponte de 25 Abril, a suspension bridge opened in 1966. The collection includes 15 tramway vehicles, together with some motor buses. Visitors see first displays of uniforms, tickets and models before being taken in an historic tram to a second building in which the historic vehicles are displayed.