The Polish national postal collection was started as long ago as 1919 and its first museum opened in Warsaw in 1921. In 1955 the collection moved to the post office in Wrocław. It later opened a branch in Gdańsk.
The authoritative collection of Polish stamps and postmarks begins with the country’s first stamp, in 1860. The mail history collection has a huge diversity of material. It includes postage stamps issued in 190 countries, letterboxes, weighing scales, a stagecoach clock from the early eighteenth century and the first Polish automatic mailbox from around 1924. There are two nineteenth-century stagecoaches and a postal van from 1925, uniforms, mail accessories, paintings and drawings. The telecommunications section shows methods of sending messages by telegraph, telephone, radio and television. Telephones in the collection are mainly from Swedish, German and Polish factories but the first is an American Bell installed in Warsaw in 1881. Radio and television equipment displayed was mainly used in Poland between 1930 and 1959. An important exhibit is the control panel of the Warsaw II radio station of the 1930s.