In 1927, the Västanfors area was established by an antiquities association as a beautiful place to visit next to Strömsholm's Canal. It is now associated with the large Bergslagen ecomuseum of sites related to the historical iron industry of the region. The conserved buildings at Västanfors include a lock on the canal, a farmstead, a large granary, Fagersta mill, a hydroelectric power station built in 1900 and a Bessemer converter. Some buildings have been moved here from other locations. About twenty houses show different lifestyles and ways of making a living – for example a manor house, a soldier’s cottage and workshop houses for a cabinet maker and a shoemaker. The granary contains craft shops and a theatre.
|Recommended duration of visit:||2-3 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||45-90 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||Available|
|Infrastructure for Children:|
|Visitor centre on site:||yes|
|Gift and book shop on Site:||yes|