Transylvanian Ethnographic Museum

Cluj-Napoca, the principal city of Transylvania, has been known by that name since 1974, but was called Claudiopolis in Latin, Kolozsvar in Hungarian and Klausenburg in German. The ethnographic museum was established in 1922, and its open air section in the Hoia Forest by Romulus Vuia in 1929. It was severely damaged during the Second World War but was subsequently expanded with many buildings that were moved from their original locations.


It illustrates particularly effectively the many ways in which wood has been used in Transylvania society, for the building of houses and churches, for hand tools and domestic utensils, and for machinery for sawing wood, extracting oil from fruits and seeds, fulling woollen cloth and crushing metallic ores.

Transylvanian Ethnographic Museum
Muzeul Etnografical Transilvaniei
Str Memorandumului 21
400114 Cluj-Napoca
+40 (0) 264 - 592344