Thessaloniki’s Water Supply Museum was established in 2001 in the former Pump House once operated by the sewage and water supply company in the western part of the city. While telling the story of the industry in the city, it also promotes the idea of saving water. Pumps, a control board and generators are displayed in two exhibition halls. Visitors are also able to see the steam-powered plant used between 1894 and 1978 and the first and second generation diesel pumps and electric generators, also used until 1978. Detailed explanations are provided of the workings of the plant’s boilers, and there are displays of measuring instruments and tools.