The tramway system in the city of Timisoara in western Romania dates from 1889 when horse trams were introduced. The network was electrified in 1899 and has expanded ever since. A large-scale programme of renovation is currently in progress. The tramway company workshops (TCT) began to build trams in 1920s. Until the Second World War the vehicles used and built in the city were all four-wheelers but the construction of bogie cars began in 1950. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 the local economy has undergone drastic changes, and the tramway company has imported second hand articulated tramcars from Bremen, Munich and Karlsruhe. An unusual feature of the network in Timisoara was its use from 1916 as a link carrying freight wagons between 10 factories and the railway system at Timisoara Est station.
The tramway museum has a large collection of vehicles made and used in the town, the oldest of which is a horse tram built in Vienna in 1869. A 2-axle steeple cab electric locomotive used to haul freight wagons on the network is also preserved.