The tobacco factory in Ljubljana opened in 1869, a large establishment that was part of the tobacco monopoly of the Habsburg Empire. The factory expanded in the following decades into a huge complex that employed nearly 2500 workers, many of them women. Its first products were hand-made cigars, but it subsequently made cigarettes, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco and tobacco extracts, but it was celebrated throughout Europe for its Virginia cigars.
The museum developed from an exhibition organised in 1991 by the City Museum service in collaboration with the tobacco company, and is now located in one of the company’s former warehouses. The displays feature the development of the factory complex in the late nineteenth century, as well as many of the company’s products.