Ideas for a museum in Hanover illustrating the history of energy were first discussed in 1979 at the time of the jubilee of the Hannover-Braunschweigischen Stromversorgungs AG power company. The museum opened in its present premises in Humboldtstrasse in 1987. It has exhibits that relate to the history of energy over the past 150 years, and has a particularly interesting collection of electrically-powered machines and appliances. They include an electrically-powered cart of 1920, a porcelain smoothing iron of the late 1920s, an AEG mercury steam regulator of 1928, and a juke box of 1960. Other displays relate to radios, telecommunications systems and computers. The museum organises a series of imaginative temporary exhibitions.