The Hippodrome is one of only three remaining purpose-built indoor circus buildings in the world, and is remarkably well-preserved. It was constructed in 1903 for the circus proprietor George Gilbert, who was already staging circus performances in the town. The architect Ralph Scott Cockerill designed the building with concrete walls, 0.6 m thick, with facades ornamented with terracotta. The auditorium originally accommodated 2500 people and there were stables for the menagerie at the rear. The mechanisms for lowering the ring and filling it with water remain intact. The Hippodrome is still a venue for circus and other performances.