The Hohe Tauern range, between the provinces of Salzburg and Carinthia was an important source of gold for many centuries, and the village of Döllach-im-Mölltal, at the foot of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, the main road route through the mountains was one of the most important mining centres. In 1983 Döllach-im-Mölltal was amalgamated with the neighbouring village of Sagritz, and the combined community was named Grosskirchheim after the castle that dominates the landscape. A museum of mining and local history was opened in the castle in 1956, but the area’s mining past is now displayed in the Tauerngold Austellung (Tauern Gold Exhibition) in the Putzenhof, a house of 1561 that was once the home of a goldsmith. Its displays describe the history of gold mining in Carinthia through Roman, Celtic and medieval times, and include many artefacts from those period. An outstanding exhibit is the largest gold nugget found in Carinthia. The geology of the area is well-covered, and there are sections on mining technology and on the refining of precious metals.