Steam Museum & Lodge Park Walled Garden

Straffan is a village in the valley of the River Liffey 25 km upstream from Dublin, the location of Lodge Park, a Palladian house, designed by Nathaniel Clements (1705-77), whose grounds include a notable walled garden. The collection in the steam museum includes a  single cylinder mill engine of 1900 by Victor Coates & Co, Belfast, which was used in linen mill, and worked until 1976, a triple expansion marine reciprocating engine by Workman, Clark & Co of Belfast, a Marshall portable engine made in Gainsborough and imported by Cork Corporation in 1899, a six-pillar beam engine of unknown make, dating from circa 1820, and used at the Jameson Distillery, a single-column beam engine of the 1840s imported from Manchester for a brewery at Kilkenny and a small vertical engine thought to have been built in Ireland that was used at a brewery in West Cork. There are also models including one of a 4-4-0 locomotive of Bavarian State Railways that was displayed at the Paris Exhibition of 1900. A collection of portraits includes representations of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-59), Richard Trevithick (1771-1833), Gustave Eiffel (1832-1923) and William Dargan (1799-1867). The museum also includes the Halpin Collection of artefacts relating to the first transatlantic cable between Valencia and Newfoundland.

Steam Museum & Lodge Park Walled Garden
Lodge Park
Straffan
Co Kildare
Ireland
+353 (0) 62 - 88412
Homepage

This website uses cookies