The Rushden Historic Transport Society, a voluntary organisation in the small Northamptonshire market town interprets the transport history of the area in a variety of ways. Its headquarters is the former Midland Railway station on a branch line from Wellingborough to Higham Ferrers, which opened in 1894. Regular passenger trains were withdrawn in 1959, but some special workings on Saturdays ran until 1965, and freight trains continued until 1969. The Society leased the station from 1984 and since 2009 had been able to operate trains over a 4.4 km section of track although it hopes in due course to extend the line into the neighbouring town of Higham Ferrers. Trains are usually worked by shunting locomotives, steam or diesel, or by a diesel multiple unit, although main line diesel locomotives have appeared on special occasions. There is also a collection of road vehicles.
The Society has a large collection of transport artefacts, lamps, tools, notices, uniform buttons, whistles and watches. Particularly notable are three bicycles made by Lightstrong in Rushden. The library includes many timetables, rule books, operating manuals and some railway publicity material. There is also an oral history archive.
The Society’s Annual Cavalcade which takes place over three days in May, is one of biggest of its kind in England and is visited by many owners of historic vehicles of all kinds.