Ramirez Museum

The Rameriz company was established at Albufeira by Sebastiāo Ramirez, and initially preserved tuna in brine, and also manufactured jute fabrics. The company started canning tuna, mackerel and sardine in 1865, and commenced using autoclaves from 1890. From 1908 it used fish caught by its own steam trawlers. Operations were transferred from Albufeira to the harbour at Matosinhos, 6 km north-west of Oporto, in 1926. By 2003 the company was operating in four continents and had 15 of its own brands.

The Ramirez 1853 Centre includes a museum that provides a comprehensive picture of the Portuguese fish canning industry. Its larger exhibits include tuna traps, the prototype of a machine designed to remove heads from sardines, and crimping machines that can close cans hermetically. There is also a notable oil painting of a Portuguese fish auction. The centre also includes and auditorium and facilities for tasting Ramirez products.

Ramirez Museum
Ramirez & Ca (Filhos) SA
Rua do Passandouro 135-Lavra
4451-953 Matosinhos
Portugal
+351 (0) 229 - 997878
Homepage

This website uses cookies