Puerto de Sagunto, one of the latest factory-town of Spain, offers us a journey through its Industrial heritage, legacy of his more recent history. Its origins are due to the initiative of the Basque shipping company “Sota y Aznar”, which chose this point on the coast in 1900 to release iron ore from Ojos Negros (Teruel), and the subsequent creation of the Mediterranean Steel Company (1917), designed and constructed under the drawings, specifications and supervision of Frank C Roberts, prominent consulting engineers of Philadelphia.
The dismantling of the steel company in the 1980s has left behind patrimonial elements, such as the Blast Furnace no 2, the General Workshops and the old Warehouse of Effects and Spare Parts - future museum of industrial archeology. The factory was responsible for providing the new population centre with the necessary facilities such as hospitals, schools, church, commissary and the workers' quarter, formed by 112 ground floors lined with tiny garden areas in a style reminiscent of British neighborhoods.
Of great relevance is the site where the chalets of the engineers were located, freely following the model of the British garden-cities, combining garden areas with buildings of Basque style. In this environment highlights the house Management of the industrial Ramón de la Sota, converted in 1940 in the casino, and the headquarters of the factory.
|Recommended duration of visit:||2,5 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||150 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||Available|
Once a month a guided tour of the Industrial Heritage is held for the public at large by APIVA (Association of Valencian Industrial Heritage)