The Polytechnic Exhibition held in Moscow on the 200th anniversary of Peter the Great, was highly successful and led to the establishment of three museums, the State Historical Museum, the Popov Central Museum of Communications in St Petersburg and the Polytechnic Museum, originally known as the Museum of Applied Science. In 1877 the museum moved to a new building in Novaya Square, designed by Ippolit Monighetti (1819-78), Nikoli Shokhin (1819-95) and Georgi Ivanovitsch Makaev (1871-1916). The museum’s Big Lecture Hall was the scene of celebrated debates between leading scientists. The museum originally concentrated on fostering the public understanding of science, but under Stalin, from 1930, it featured Soviet industry and agriculture and had a role in the training of workers. It revived under the rule of Khrushchev, and was very active in drawing attention to space exploration and cybernetics in the 1960s. From 1988 it was recognised as the main museum of the History of Science and Technology in USSR, and now fulfils a similar role in the Russian Federation, having undergone substantial changes, including a re-ordering of its building from 2010. It now holds some 230,000 artefacts, all of them available through an open storage system. Its main public displays are on radio, plasma energy, nuclear energy, lasers and holography, space, the analogues of natural phenomena and new anthropogenesis (means of extending human life). It also holds an outstanding collection of scientific instruments and apparatus, and about 30 foreign and Russian-built motorcars.