The Næs Ironworks in the Tvevedestrand commune on the south-east coast of Norway, 75 km north east of Kristiansand, was established in the 17th century. It was modernised by Thomas Cranford from the Carron Ironworks in Scotland between 1799 and 1806. For many decades the works specialised in high quality heating stoves, but from 1850 it began to produce crucible steel. The two blast furnaces which still stand were blown out in 1909, but steel production continued until 1950, and water-powered hammers in the forge were used until 1959. A trust was established to conserve the site in 1966. Visitors are able to see most of the historic ironworks, including the blast furnaces and the forge with its water-powered hammers. The indoor displays, located in the former machine shop include many photographs of the ironworks when it was operating and a large collection of stoves made there. The trust is also responsible for the former owners’ mansion and for some workers’ housing. A footbridge at nearby Fosstveit Holt was cast at the works in 1836.