Weaving has a prominent place in the museum at Kretinga in north-west Lithuania. The collection originated in 1935, and the museum retained its identity during the Second Word War. It opened displays in a former monastery in 1977, but when Lithuania re-gained its independence the buildings were handed back to the Franciscan order. In 1992 the collections were re-located in the mansion and 43 ha park that formerly belonged to the Tiskeviciai family, prominent landowners in the region. There are displays relating to archaeology, material culture and folk art as well as to traditional textile manufactures.