The core of the museum of communications in Frankfurt is the part of the collection of the museum established in Berlin by Heinrich von Stephan (1831-97) that was removed to Hesse after the Second World War by the United States army. The collection was put on display, as the Federal Postal Museum, in a sandstone villa in Frankfurt in 1958, and re-located in 1990 to a glass and aluminium in the Modernist style by Behnisch & Partner of Stuttgart.
The spectacular entrance hall highlights the seven themes of the museum: signs, letters and parcels, telegraphs, telephones, radio communications, television and the Internet. The displays illustrate all aspects of communications from Mesopotamian clay tablets to the latest digital technology. A particular theme of the Frankfurt museum is the illustration of communications through works of art, paintings, sculptures and photographs, from the 17th century to the present. There are many interactive exhibits and visitors are able to operate much of the equipment that is displayed.
The museum is now managed by the Museumsstiftung Post und Telekommunikation (Museum trust for post and telecommunications), established in 1995 during the federal postal reforms that followed re-unification, which also has responsibility for museums in Berlin, Hamburg and Nürnberg.