Chiavenna is a town in the Italian Alps, north of Lake Como and about 10 km from the Swiss border. Bottonera is situated on the north side of the town and was an industrial area built-up in the nineteenth century, with cotton mills, paper mills, corn mills, a brewery and a hammer forge. Carlo Moro established a pasta factory incorporating a grain mill at Bottonera in 1861, which worked until the 1960s. The family business is now carried on by the fifth generation from a new plant at Tanno just outside the town, where they have introduced innovations such as gluten-free pasta, and pasta in shapes to appeal to children. The mill and the pasta factory have been preserved, aided by the family, by the local authority, and by members of the local community who contributed 8500 hours of free labour to the restoration. The superb quality of the wooden millwrighting is a feature of the mill and the factory. Operations were powered by a water turbine, and the wheat and other grains were washed before grinding. The factory produced pizzoçeri, the famous pasta of the region which can be sampled at the museum.