Follonica is a town on the Tuscan coast, 47 km north-west of Grosseto where in 1834 Leopold II, Duke of Tuscany established the Royal and Imperial Foundry. The works was entered through a triumphal archway in cast-iron with a shield flanked by two dolphins surmounted by a blazing torch. It was designed by Carlo Reishammer (1806-83), as was the nearby church of St Leopold, built in 1834-40. The window frames in the west front and the apse were the first cast-iron elements to be incorporated in an Italian church.
MAGMA is a heritage centre opened in 2013 whose objective is to preserve the technological, artistic and sociological history of the Fallonica iron industry. It occupies three floors of exhibition space in the former ironworks. The central area, once occupied by blast furnace of 1836, is distinguished by a cascade of thin metal sheets in colours that recall the smelting process. There are displays on the history of ironmaking in the region from the time of the Etruscans in the sixth century bc. There are regular projections of a film made in 1926 which shows ironmaking techniques used in the nineteenth century. The basement displays the various means of forging iron.