The 30 wooden houses that comprise the village of Ligatne were built in the late nineteenth century to accommodate workers at a substantial paper mill which itself dates from 1816. The mill still operates and prides itself on making high quality products from waste paper. The buildings are of brick, the largest of them extending to four storeys with cellars below. The village lies within the Gauja National Park which was designated in 1975. Attached to the houses are caves in the soft sandstone that were used to store vegetables during the winter months. Apartments within the village are available for holiday lets.