The surface buildings at the King Edward Mine are the most complete of any tin-mining site in Cornwall, and include a calciner, a buddle house, a steam winding engine house with an adjacent boiler house, a set of Californian stamps and a twin horizontal winding engine supplied by Holmans of Camborn in 1907, that is now worked by compressed air.
The mine was formerly part of the South Condurrow Mine that was closed in 1890, but re-opened as a training mine by the Camborne School of Mines, who used it until the mid-1970s. A volunteer group was established in 1987 to restore the buildings and present them to the public. The mine is now managed by a consortium including representatives of several local heritage groups. The Mineral Railways Discovery Centre is housed in the former calciner.