Lüneburg is an ancient Hanseatic town on the edge of Lüneburg Heath between Hamburg and Hanover where salt was extracted for more than a thousand years. The salt works closed in 1980 and parts of it have been adapted as a hands-on museum telling the story of the industry.
The Well House dates from 1832 and was designed by Friedrich Laues (1788-1864), the Hanover architect. Until 1961 all the brine used in the salt works was extracted from this source, and some is still supplied to the Salztherme Lüneburg spa. The Boiling House is a large building dating from 1924, parts of which now accommodate apartments and a supermarket. About a third is used for the museum’s permanent display, which includes a 20 m x 8 m salt pan. A building known as the donkey stable (Eselstall) was built about 1850 as part of a chemical plant, but was removed from its original site and re-erected as a display area for temporary exhibitions.
One of the museum’s outstanding exhibits is a wooden brine container on the remains of the city wall that runs through the site. Two were discovered when the works closed, and while one was destroyed by fire, the other remains, adjacent to a modern building that houses displays of minerals.
|Recommended duration of visit:||2 Hours|
|Duration of a guided Tour:||90 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||For details see website|
|Infrastructure for Children:|
|Gift and book shop on Site:||yes|