Gas lighting replaced oil lamps in the streets of Ljubljana in 1861. The gasworks museum illustrates the role of gas as a source of energy and light in the city since that time. The museum, located in the administration building of the company that is now responsible for energy supplies in Ljubljana, was opened in 1996. At its entrance are replicas of some of the old gas lamp standards, which have been copied from nineteenth-century picture postcards. Pictures and diagrams illustrate the methods of producing gas, and the development of the supply network through the city and its suburbs, with many examples of meters, pressure regulators and gas detectors. Other sections show the use of gas in the home, with stoves, ovens and water-heaters.