Vordernberg was linked with Eisenerz by an early railway with inclined planes, the Vordernberger Förderbahn, of which archaeological evidence can still be seen. The line was replaced in 1891 by the Erzbergbahn, a standard gauge rack railway on which steam traction was employed until 1981. The line is no longer used for carrying iron ore and regular passenger trains have been withdrawn. Since 2003 the track and the railcars that use it have been owned by a voluntary organisation, the Verein Erzbergbahn, which operates trains for visitors in the summer months. A huge 2-12-2T tank locomotive built for the line in 1941 is preserved at the main station at Vordernberg, the terminus of a branch from Leoben.