CFR Steam Locomotive Museum

The Romanian steam locomotive museum at Resita in the south west of the country is situated in a small park. It is an informal establishment where entry is free and visitors are able to examine the exhibits without restrictions. Ironmaking developed in the area in the eighteenth century, and a substantial steelworks remains active. In 1776 seventy German families settled in the area and in the first half of the twentieth century the population was predominantly German, although Romania was independent after the First World War. Resita was one of the principal engineering centres in the Habsburg Empire and a works that could build locomotives was opened there in 1872. It was to mark the centenary of the works that the museum was created in 1972. It holds a collection of sixteen locomotives of which fourteen were built in Resita, including Resicza, an 0-4-0 tank locomotive designed by John Haswell, the first to be built in the town, which is displayed on a plinth. One of the principal exhibits is 230-516, a 4-6-0 of 1936, which pulled a train carrying the king of Romania to Milan, and was then used by the Romanian president Nicolae Ceauşescu to host visiting foreign statesmen.

CFR Steam Locomotive Museum
CFR Muzeul de Locomotive
Strada Vidu Ion Calea Timisarei
Resita
Romania
Homepage

This website uses cookies