The "Old Smelt" is a historic ensemble of factory buildings, housing estates and parks, most of which have been preserved in their original state. The ironworks was set up in 1732. Production reached its peak here in the 19th century when it turned out pig iron, cast iron and sheet iron products. The oldest buildings in the adjacent housing estate date back to the 18th century. The oldest industrial building is the former charge house built in 1750.