Serlachius Museum Gustaf is located in Mänttä-Vilppula, a beautiful lakeside town of about 10,000 people in West Finland, 90 km north-east of Tampere. Museum Gustaf’s exhibitions feature the history of Finnish paper industry and art. The museum believes in the power of narrative and tells touching tales from history and today. The story of G. A. Serlachius, a legend in Finnish paper industry is presented intensely dramatized in the permanent exhibition. The history of Mänttä pulp mill and viewpoints of the pulp workers are presented in the exhibition Behind the Pulp Gate.
Museum Gustaf is located in the White House, the company’s headquarters in Mänttä that was completed in 1934 to the design of the architects Valter and Bertel Jung. Its magnificent architecture incorporated the most modern office technology and was richly decorated with permanent artworks. The White House lost its status as head office in 1986 following the merger of the G. A. Serlachius company and was opened as a museum in 2003.
The industrial development of the locality set off when mill founder G. A. Serlachius built a pulp mill in Mänttä in 1868. He subsequently established a sawmill, began to make cardboard, constructed a paper mill and acquired two further pulp mills. The business was not entirely prosperous in the 1890s, but it became a limited company and under the founder’s nephew, Gösta Serlachius (1876–1942) developed into one of Finland’s leading forest industry combines, producing timber, paper, cellulose pulp and roofing felt. Gösta Serlachius established also the Fine Arts Foundation whose art collections are shown at Art Museum Gösta, the second Serlachius Museum, located about 2 kilometers from Gustaf. The Serlachius Museums offer their visitors memorable experiences of art, history, architecture as well as culinary delights amid beautiful lake and forest nature.