Near the village of Taurinya and the mountain Canigó in the French Pyrenees is a walking trail in spectacular scenery around the remains of mining and processing of iron ore. The 2.5-km trail begins at a car park in the forest south of Taurinya. Features along the route have been restored with interpretation panels. The mines were exploited from ancient times but in 1803 they were taken over by the ironmaster Raymond Rivals and later they supplied blast furnaces at Ria and La Nouvelle. After the Perpignan-Prades railway opened in 1879 the Société anonyme des mines de Fillols-Taurinya laid railways to connect to Prades station and enlarged the mines. The operation closed down in 1928 but reopened for a few years 1958-62. Among the restored features to be seen are a mine entrance with an electric locomotive, impressive furnaces for roasting the ore, mineral hoppers, a railway incline and an abandoned barracks to house the miners.