The museum is run by the Gómez Planche foundation in collaboration with Salamanca city council. It was opened in 2002 in the former building of the Salamanca electricity company. It aims to show the evolution of the automobile from the first century BC to the present and future. The permanent exhibition includes over 150 cars. The earliest internal combustion vehicle is the Benz Motorwagen – which went into production in 1885. Car manufacturers represented in the collection include the prestigious names Rolls Royce, Hispano Suiza, Jaguar, Pegasus, BMW, Cadillac, MG and Mercedes-Benz and the popular makers Ford, Buick, Citroen, SEAT and Fiat. Motorcycles on display include models by Bultaco, Honda, Lube, Derbi, Ducati, Montesa and Norton. Recent Formula 1 racing cars are also shown. There are displays of mechanical engineering equipment, bicycles and design artefacts such as posters and insignia. The museum changes its exhibitions regularly to show the vehicles in their historical context.