The train repair workshop in Móra la Nova began operating in 1891 and continued until the late 1970s, when steam locomotives were replaced by electric trains. Until then it was an important location for changing locomotives and crews on the 633-km journey between Barcelona and Madrid. In 1958, around 1,000 people worked at the depot. The museum opened in 2010. It is run by a voluntary association in collaboration with the town council and MNACTEC, the Museums of Science and Technology of Catalunya. At the site are workshops, a turntable and locomotive sheds where rolling stock is repaired. Examples of trains that ran on the direct line are displayed, including steam locomotives built in the 1950s, electric trains and passenger cars. The signal box and observation tower built in 1928 has one of the first electromechanical systems for station control in Europe. Displays in the signal box explain the evolution of Catalan railways.
|Recommended duration of visit:||1-2 Hours|
|Duration of a guided tour:||120 Minutes|
|Access for persons with disabilities:||For details see website|
|Infrastructure for children:|
|Visitor centre on site:||yes|
|Gift and book shop on site:||yes|
Saturday Sunday, holidays guided tours at 11.30am and 5pm