Puerto de Sagunto

Puerto de Sagunto is one of the twentieth-century factory-town of Spain. A visit to the site is a journey through its industrial heritage and legacy of its subsequent history. Its origins were due to the Basque shipping company “Sota y Aznar”, which chose this point on the coast in 1900 to ship iron ore from Ojos Negros (Teruel), and to the Mediterranean Steel Company (established in 1917). The site was designed and constructed under the supervision of Frank C. Roberts, a prominent consulting engineers of Philadelphia.

The dismantling of the steelworks in the 1980s has left behind historic features as the Blast Furnace no 2, the General Workshops and a warehouse for equipment and spare parts, which will be a museum of industrial archaeology.

The factory equipped the town with facilities such as hospitals, schools, a church, a police station and workers' housing. The neighbourhood of 112 single-storey houses with tiny gardens is in a layout reminiscent of British working-class neighbourhoods. The engineers' chalet-like houses were loosely based on the model of British garden cities and combine public gardens with buildings in a Basque architectural style. The factory's office building in this area was converted into a casino in 1940.

Puerto de Sagunto
Address Horno Alto nº2: Avenida Altos Hornos 46520 Puerto de Sagunto
Contact: FCV Patrimonio Industrial Puerto Sagunto Avenida 9 de Octubre, nº7
46520 Puerto de Sagunto
Valencia
Spain
+34 (0) 611 - 072510
Homepage

Recommended duration of visit:2,5 Hours
Duration of a guided Tour:150 Minutes
Admission:Charge
Access for persons with disabilities:Available

Once a month a guided tour of the Industrial Heritage is held for the public at large by APIVA (Association of Valencian Industrial Heritage)

  • Guided tours optional
  • Tours in other languages