Ferdinand Porsche (1875-1951), founded the company which bears his name in 1931. He was primarily a designer, who was responsible in 1934 for the concept of the original people’s car, the Beetle which was subsequently made by Volkswagen. He began to manufacture prestigious sports cars after the Second World War, beginning the series production of the Porsche 356 from 1950, the Porsche 911 in 1964 and the Porsche 924 in 1975.
The museum, in the Zuffenhausen district of Stuttgart alongside the Porsche factory was established in 1976 and now occupies a striking building designed by Delugan Meissl (b 1959) of Vienna which was formally opened on 31 January 2009. It displays more than 80 vehicles in spectacular settings.