Pontcysyllte Aqueduct World Heritage Site

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct carries the waterway originally called the Ellesmere Canal, but now the Llangollen Canal, some 38 m above the River Dee, and is 308 m long. It was completed in 1805 under the direction of Thomas Telford, who in the initial stages of the project was responsible to William Jessop (1745-1815). The canal is now used to carry about 27,000,000 litres of drinking water a day from the Horseshoe Falls further upstream on the River Dee to towns in Cheshire, and carries heavy tourist traffic. Volunteers and employees of the Canal and River Trsut run a small visitor centre at Trevor Basin on the north side of the aqueduct.

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct World Heritage Site
Station Road Trevor
LL20 7YQ Wrexham
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1978 - 292015