The Nuutajarvi glassworks was founded in 1793 to make bottles and window glass. Its range of products was enlarged on the advice of French and Belgian experts in the mid-19th century to include table wares, and it remains the oldest glassworks still in production in Finland. The oldest remaining production and administration buildings dates from the 1850s. The workers’ housing is notable, and ranges in date from the 1860s to the 1940s.
The museum dates from 1977. Its collections are administered jointly with those of the Arabia glassworks in Helsinki and the Littala works at Kalvola by the Design Museum Foundation.