Neroberg Funicular Railway

The Nerobergbahn is a funicular railway that takes passengers from the centre of Wiesbaden up the Neroberg hill. It was promoted by the entrepreneur Carl Rudolf and opened in 1888. It continues to be run by the Wiesbaden public transport company. It works on the counter-balance principle and is powered by the weight of up to 7,000 litres of water in a tank below the downward car. The three-rail rack-and-pinion track is 1-m gauge with a passing loop at the half-way point. The length of the journey is 438 m, rising 83 m, and takes three and a half minutes. The original cars were made by Maschinenfabrik Esslingen, who also renovated them in 1963. At the bottom is a five-arch brick viaduct. Both the Talstation and the Bergstation were built of timber and brick in a respectable historicist style.The railway generally operates from April to October. A small museum is housed in the former toilet building at the lower station.

Neroberg Funicular Railway
Wilhelminenstraße 51
65193 Wiesbaden
+49 (0) 611 - 45022550