The brick buildings of Berlin's oldest waterworks are situated in the middle of a green idyll on the shore of Teufelssee lake. Before the central water supply was introduced in 1852, Berlin was served by around 5600 wells. In 1872, the Grunewald waterworks at Teufelssee went into operation and supplied the nearby villa settlements in Westend and later also households in Zehlendorf and Neukölln. When the waterworks was shut down in 1969 after almost 100 years of operation, public protest prevented the demolition of the industrial monument. Since 1985, the waterworks has been known as the Ökowerk and offers a wide range of environmental protection services. The ensemble of buildings of the former waterworks can also be explored on guided tours. Eventually the infocenter WASSERLEBEN provides water experiments for everyone.